Tuesday, February 24, 2009

An Interlude: The Girl and Her Horse


















Ellen O'Mara, 1905. (source)


There is a story on my mother's side of the family that my great-grandfather, James Sullivan, attended a horse show with a friend of his not long after being appointed to a diplomatic position by the U.S. government. While at the show, he noticed one Ellen "Nell" O'Mara, the daughter of the mayor of Limerick, riding by. Upon seeing her, he turned to his friend and said, "That's the woman I'm going to marry." He was proven right; Nell O’Mara Sullivan later became the mother of my grandfather Stephen.

I wonder, sometimes, how many other men have spoken with such surety and conviction. I wonder whether their stories ended similarly. I wonder if James Sullivan would have spoken with such certainty about anything else in his life, had his attention been elsewhere when that pretty Irish girl went by on her horse.





(I'm still flying.)

3 Comments:

Blogger ML said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:18 PM  
Blogger ML said...

As soon as I looked at the photograph I knew it was of a relative on your mother's side. I'm not sure if it's the eyes or the shape of the face, but something triggered that reaction.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

She looks like my sister, too. That's the same expression Shelagh used to get right before she burst out laughing.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home