Thursday, January 25, 2007

As of today I've gotten an inkling of all the classes I'll be taking this semester:

Monday/Wednesday
U.S. Military History: 8:30 - 9:50 AM
Advanced Inorganic: 10:00 - 10:50 AM
Archaeological Methods: 3:00 - 3:50 AM

Tuesday/Thursday
Advanced Analytical: 8:00 - 9:20 AM

Friday
Advanced Inorganic: 10:00 - 10:50 AM

As you can see, this has its myriad joys and sorrows. Joys--it's slack! 12 credits! No more DeFotis torturing, excoriating, badgering, and roasting me over the slow fire of undergraduate indignity. Sorrows--I have to get up before 8 A.M. four days a week. So, OK, I should have said myriad joys and one sorrow.

Military History looks, naturally, like it has the capacity to hold my rapt attention all semester. There are a bunch of my friends from the ROTC classes I took sophomore year (remember the era of Captain Mensch?) as well as a few other civilians. There are girls--non-ROTC girls--in the class. Maybe my hopes of finding a comely military buff to marry aren't so far-fetched after all.

Chem is Chem. I shall not bore you with the details (yet). Dr. Rice remains the Spike Milligan of my academic experience. I shall quote the first problem set he gave us:

"1) (10 pts) A substance known as THC has a partition coefficient of 7.0..."

Yeah, we know what HE was doing when he was our age. The on-board example today dealt with extracting LSD. Into ether. Who says chemistry doesn't have practical applications?

Archaeological Methods is the pendulum; which way it swings I won't know for a little while. I have been warned that the class is "dry." However, it's being taught by Martin Gallivan, who has never taught it before. He's young, so that's usually an advantage (as opposed to a jaded old anthropology prof), and having not taught the class means he might be more open to trying new and hopefully interesting things. We have some computer labs scheduled for "pottery stylization" and "subsistence/access", which could be fun, or could be Hell, depending on the sytstem we use (I still have nightmares about FORTRAN from this summer). We're also scheduled to go to a dig site, as well as participate in a shovel test. So; we shall see. I feel OK about it.



I'm still flying.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...all those early am classes are your karma for those 3 am bedtimes for a month and a half.

Gurrls in Military History??? Yep, life could get interesting.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home