Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I figured I needed at least one post for August, this being the third anniversary of this "blog."

Today is, as my friend Sally put it, "My last first day of college." Except maybe not really, assuming I get to go to grad school for oenology as I hope to do. As I mentioned at the tail end of one of my infrequent earlier posts, I want to start a winery. There's an oenology (winemaking) master's program at Virginia Tech that I'd love to pursue. Hopefully this year will bring fruition (no pun intended, honestly) to my goals.

My classes for this year are as follows:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Advanced Organic Chemistry: 11:00 - 11:50 AM

Tuesday/Thursday
Biological Anthropology: 9:30 AM - 10:50 AM
History/Religion of Ancient Israel: 2:00 - 3:20 PM
Polymer Chemistry I: 3:30 - 4:50 PM

It may not be the best schedule ever, but at least it's predictable and there are no labs. I'll take what I can get. And I finally got into Religion of Ancient Israel, which has been a striving since freshman year.

Adrian and I have now been dating for two months. Alas, we won't get to see each other as much during the school year but we'll make do. I'm already getting used to walking home to my apartment at Ludwell from her apartment at Cabell late at night. Although after watching X-Files straight for three hours makes the stroll a tad jittery.

Finally, I'm currently rebuilding my music collection. I lost my CD's this May when moving out of Bryan, my computer when it crashed for the third and final time this summer (I now own a Dell Latitude), and my wallet when it got stolen on vacation. (My wallet has nothing to do with losing my music collection, I just needed a third woe to flesh the other two out more.) I'm thinking of posting a list of all the music, both legal and illegal, that I lost on here--not as a wish list, per se, but if my computer crashes again I want a hard copy of everything I need to re-purchase in the coming years.

Losing so much stuff makes me realize, ironically, how much in this life is replaceable. I don't necessarily enjoy replacing it but it can be done. The only things I hate to lose are those items which have been made extraordinary through some experience of mine or someone I feel close to. I didn't regret losing my wallet so much as I hated the fact it was my grandfather's wallet that I lost. I don't feel bad about losing my music except that I put so long putting the collection together and some of the CD's were given to me by loved ones over the years. It's not the things themselves that make losing them saddening. It's what I've come to associate with them. But as Elizabeth Bishop said, "The art of losing isn't hard to master."

"...Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
The art of losing's not too hard to master
Though it may look like (write it!) like disaster."

1 Comments:

Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

Roll up the hill for moss.
For water, roll back down.
A seat upon the throne of loss
requires a broken crown.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home