Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Hmmm. I guess I should have updated this a while ago.

Things between the fair Maria and I have improved vastly since the previous, rather bleak post. I think part of the reasons we had such a hard time was a confluence of stress and unhappiness on both our parts due to school and work related things. I usually refrain from such candid appraisals of my personal life on here--preferring to hide behind innuendo and sardonic euphemisms--but sometimes...well, I can't just blog about poetry, music, and classes all the time. I guess I have to find a balance between a bland, trivial blog that doesn't do much for anyone except my immediate circle and a "Dear Diary" LiveJournal-esque site devoted to angsty navel-gazing.

Homecoming was last weekend, and I have to say it's one of the better Homecomings of my college experience. Friday I worked 5-9 at the Scotland House and Saturday I worked 10-6. Right around quitting time, Maria and Derek Power (PMA brother, class of '05) came by to say hello and to ask if I wanted to join them at the Daily Grind. So I went straight from the House to the Grind and we spent roughly 5 nanoseconds there, after which Maria and Derek's alumni friends decided they wanted to go to the Green Leafe. Maria and I declined and took a walk around campus instead. After we took a walk and spent some time together she and I went our seperate ways to get dinner. Around 9 or so we rendezvoused with Derek and went to Ryan's house for the PMA Homecoming party. Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera this time, but any photos I could have taken would have been marred by Eric Yttri's ugly mug, so it's probably better that way. Anyways, we spent the evening drinking whiskey sours and Yuengling lager and telling progressively more tasteless jokes. The kind of jokes that convince you that, upon hearing them, you are most certainly bound for Hell. As Evan Hartman remarked at the end of one particularly vulgar witticism, "All I wanted was a joke--not eternal damnation."

On Sunday, Maria and I spent a long time together making up for all the time we hadn't seen each other this week. I guess things are pretty swell at the moment. I'm not really sure how to to put it into words--after all, this is the first relationship of my maturity, but on the other hand I'm still only 20.5 years old (my half-birthday was four days ago). We're both still figuring things out and sometimes on the Road to Findout you can get really depressed and upset with short-term setbacks and seemingly impassable barriers. I guess I just want to keep my eye on the future enough so that I can remain optimistic without moving into a sort of daydreamy fantasy land where there's too much future-planning and not enough dealing with the issues in front of me. Like PChem, or IA.

Speaking of those two demons, I have a lab in both and a test in the former coming up. So expect to hear from me sometime after Thursday, after the Three Laws of Thermodynamics have robbed me of the majority of my congnitive skills.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dymphna said...

Hmmm...seems like on the road to findout he came across the Koran. If that's what the last line means, anyway.

The whole trip is a Find Out Road...beginning with "you'll find out when you're older." Yeah -- and as soon as you do, you notice another piece of the puzzle no one told you about...

I wish you good fortune on your last six months' of your journey to your Majority. Where you find out...well, let's just wait and see. It's only six months, right?

12:31 AM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

Roughly six months. You'll know when the day comes because you will sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million voices cried out in agony and were suddenly silenced.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

As for the "good book" reference, that was roughly six or seven--probably more like eight years--before he picked up a Koran. I've read conflicting reports about what he meant...he could have been referencing the Bible at that stage, for all we know. He experimented with Zen Buddhism, Taoism, Judaism, Christianity, Numerology, and a bunch of other stuff before settling on Islam.

So...take your pick. Seems like it was a bit early for him to be referencing Islam, though.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home