Monday, January 31, 2005

I'm thinking of starting a new blog called "Will's Reviews" where I could put all the song lyrics I wanted, as well as a quick take on the artist/album involved. Because I love doing that on here and no one seems to care. Oh well.
Maybe I should call it "Swill with Will."

At any rate, there's a new Indie group (although "group" here is used loosely--it's one man) called Iron & Wine and their--his--stuff is fantastic, especially one song called "Each Coming Night." It's got a sound reminiscent of the early Simon & Garfunkel days: sweet vocals, beautiful instrumentation, etc. It's been described as a "beautiful understated lullaby" but that's like saying "Wish You Were Here" is a rock anthem; it doesn't really tell you jack about the song itself.

Will you say when I'm gone away
"My lover came to me and we lay
in rooms unfamiliar but until now..."

Will you say to them when I'm gone

"I loved your son for his sturdy arms
We both learned to cradle then live without..."

Will you say when I'm gone away
"Your father's body was Judgement Day
We both dove and rose to the riverside..."

Will you say to me when I'm gone
"Your face has faded but lingers on
'Cause light strikes a deal with each coming night..."


Haunting, poignant, sad, beautiful, and joyous all at once. I love this song. I love this whole damned ALBUM. Buy it!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dymphna said...

A separate blog of good songs is a great idea; you can link to it from Gryf.

Why it's a good idea: when you are old and decrepit, you'll have the music of your youth in one spot...and others will see it as having historical value,too. Lots of "oh, yeah...now I remember that song. What happened to those guys anyway? I heard {insert name} died." "You're kidding! Hey, have another beer..."

And so on.

Or you can do what I do: google the old stuff. But then you have to allow for your selective memory.

~D

11:29 AM  
Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

Wotta Four song! But I guess most of them are...

1:49 PM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

Yeah, but the problem is that I don't listen to enough new music to warrant a whole blog devoted to it. Some people do, but some people also have more time that they *don't* devote to video games, studying, and sleeping.
Not only that but given how laconic my posts usually are, I doubt I'd make an excellent reviewer.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

*Ahem* A 'Four song'? How about "I'm So Tired"? "Julia"? "Maybe Today"? "I Will"? "Blowin' Free"?
Let's face, most of the good ones have Four aspects to them. And if you're going to make fun of the ones that happen to be more pronounced than others, I have one thing to say: thhppppttthhh.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

Fours make the best songs. I was not expressing disapprobation.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home