Thursday, November 04, 2004

Yesterday was nice (would have been even if W hadn't won the election). One of those great Autumn days that we regret not having more of, etc. I put on my new, $10 suit after Physics and went to MiliSci.

Captain Mensch: "You don't have to wear a suit, you know, even if it is Election Day..."
Will: "I'm celebrating, sir."
Zotto and Eckstein: "And boy, is it worth celebrating."

We did Land Navigation for the whole period--sometimes I'm glad I have a map freak for a father; it helps when you have to do orienteering--and then afterwards Eckstein (Sasha, when we're doing non-military activities) and I went and had lunch with Derek Power. We discussed the victory, world issues, policy, and the concept of "being on top of things." My belief was that it's better being in the state right before you achieve complete supremacy, because at that point, you know your'e great and everyone else knows you're great...but you still have that final step to achieve, and all of that together is like Christmas if you're power (or love) hungry.
Anyway, later in the afternoon, Lynn and Liz and Lynn's boyfriend Jon and I got together for coffee at Aromas. Actualy, I don't think any of us had coffee. I had hot cider, in celebration of the leaves finally falling off the trees (hey, it's Williamsburg, we have green leaves on the trees up until December--and anyway, hot cider is a must when it's November). I think Liz and Lynn had tea or chai or something, and Jon had Root 66. Anyways, Lynn, Liz, and I were hungry, so we all walked over to the Caf (on the way Lynn groped me) and I showed them the magic ringing table. I discovered this table with Hank and Alan the other night--when you turn the tabletop on its axis, it makes a magical "ding" sound. This entertained Hank greatly, and it tends to amuse most people to whom I demonstrate it.
I guess it really is the little things you treasure...

4 Comments:

Blogger Dymphna said...

Ah, Autumn. Nearly all the leaves here have fallen. A few glorious hickories and maples cling to the shreds of summer, but otherwise the long grey gloom has begun. It is raining, which adds to the sense of December come too soon.

Do you really have a captain named Mensch? How wonderful! Or am I being dense and that's a nickname?

When next you go out, please run through some piles of fallen leaves for me.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

Wot about that link I sent? Do you know her?

7:12 PM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

Yeah, but he's not so much a mensch as a mahker. In my opinion.
And yeah, I got the link and talked to her. She's a pretty cool chick. She's psyched that lots of people read Powerline. I guess it's kind of the same geeky rush I get when I type in "Fibonacci spirals" on Google and Chromatism is the first thing that pops up...

12:08 AM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

Random MiliSci quote:

Captain Mensch: I'm just kidding. I love you guys. And I don't mean I luuvvvv you guys...I mean I love you guys.
Zotto and Eckstein: We love you too, s--
Captain Mensch: Shut up.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home