Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Gryffilion D., Adventurer tells me he is now suffering from abandonment issues

What a fun weekend. My friend Peter Glanville, yet another EYC friend, came down from Tech for the weekend. He was floored by the "all you can eat" thing on weekends--apparently it's fend-for-yourself at VT on the weekends. And I thought I had it bad with the Caf. So we lazed around a lot--though I did less lazing than usual, since I had an Archaeology take-home quiz (due to the mercy of Prof. Gallivan) and an Orgo test on Sunday (hey, it gave me two extra days to study). Ah yes--one of those days of studying being spent with a senior girl who asked me to study with her...
*shakes off reverie* Anyway, on Sunday Peter and I hung out with our mutual friend, Constance, who was the first person he came down to see (me and Lynn being the other two people). Saturday we ate dinner with some of the D & D people and then he and Lynn went off with them to the Dart Gun Fight. We stayed up late mainly because Mike Schobel (lives across the hall from me) was drunk and randy and griping about how much he wanted to find a girl with whom to hook up. He got quite eloquent at one point:

"Guys, just for a minute, let's go back to Walden Pond. To Henry Thoreau, and transcendentalism--or even existentialism. Imagine that we live in a society without rules or boundaries. That we are all individual actors with the power to shape our own destinies. If you lived in that world and you could have any one thing, what would it be? Because for me, I know it would be sex. Right now."

Yeah. That pretty much sums up his mood for the night. It was quite funny but when we realized he wasn't going to wind down anytime soon we all went to bed.
And now it's almost Thanksgiving Break and I have a quiz and an Orgo Lab on my last day. Talk about needing a reprieve...

8 Comments:

Blogger Dymphna said...

Hmmm..I don't recall ol' Henry T. talking about this particular subject. Living on the edge (of Walden, and society in general, women in particular)probably wouldn't get your dorm mate very far...

2:14 AM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

Then allow me to quote Mr. Schobel again:

"Women do whatever society tells them to do. And the more guys there are around, the more it looks like society."

(In trying to persuade us to accompany him on his...er...mission)

8:55 AM  
Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

The mission was at night... so, if you went east, it would be a nocturnal e. mission. That should take care of him.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS (HUMOR 101):
I thought W & M students/alumni were supposed to be able to make intelligent jokes?

D-.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Baron Bodissey said...

I make no evaluation based on "intelligent". But the credit for it goes to a W&M student (in 1972), the immortal Mandrake.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe, you actually stayed up with the drunk guy huh? looked like fun. :) ~lynn

11:15 PM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

Yep. It's a story all its own. Makes me wish I'd had a tape recorder that night.
Sample quote: "Guys, we have to go out and f***ing f*** somebody."

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm, makes me wish i'd stuck around for the amusement. I was too exhausted though. The guy did seem rather intriguing...

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home