Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Oh man do I hate colds. They're always worse for ashtmatics...you have a cough to begin with and the cold turns every slightly physical exertion into a brush with death. It's always funny how a cold and a rainy day make it seem like it's the middle of February...even when it's only just turned to Fall.
By the way, everyone should visit Danny Schmidt's website (at the right in the Links) and, if possible, download some of his music. (It's in the "Listen" section.) He's an incredibly talented guitarist who is ten times as gifted as I am lazy. I would suggest "Cleopatra" and "Sad Songs Walking"--and "Already Gone" is a good, although very moving and sad, song done in memoriam after September 11th. It contains one of my most favorite lines:

"There’s a hole in Pennsylvania where the White House might've been
'Cause bad men learned to fly grenades but good ones pulled the pin..."

I think that says it better than any ten page paper I could write on the subject. He's not that cut-and-dried throughout the entire song, but really, that one line more than redeems anything else he could have put in there. Good men will pull the pin only when the moment of truth is at hand, and most of the time they will be presented with that moment by the actions of evil men. Pray God we all have a little bit of Todd Beamer in us should any such occasion rear its head...

4 Comments:

Blogger Gryffilion said...

You heard it that time in Harrisonburg--King of My Living Room II. It was the one we liked up until the knee-jerk (you two know what I'm talking about). Even so, I think it's a great song...the sentiment is in the right place, especially in that one line.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

A shaved Moe! :-(

He looked silly when he was fat and furry, but fat and shaved must be downright humiliating...

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

this has nothing to do with your post, but i used to manage the hogwaller ramblers. thought i'd say hi. do you really let your mom read your blog? fascinating. hope you feel better soon!

lindsey
http://hogramble.blog-city.com

11:04 PM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

Well, it's not so much that I let my parents read my blog as they read it to make sure I'm still alive. Or at least still in school. I guess I owe them periodic updates in return for that whole food/school/life deal they gave me. Obviously I should have read the fine print.
You *managed* the Ramblers? How does one manage the Ramblers? Incidentally I should tell you that I'm Jamie's brother...he doesn't seem to lend himself to being managed by anyone.
Including himself. *Sigh*

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home