Monday, September 20, 2004

Fall comes early to Williamsburg?

Wow, it was cool today...maybe autumn got here ahead of schedule. I went around in long sleeves all day. Speaking of which, I watched a video on emo kids...I guess I qualify as one in how I dress. Jeans, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, belt, glasses, Converse Hi-Tops--though the hat I'm not really sure about. Don't emo kids usually go hatless?
Anyway, it was rather nice out. It was the kind of day that makes you realize that you have a lot of things to enjoy before winter gets here--and for some reason, the two things that stick out in my mind about fall are the smells of the smoke and the taste of apple cider. One of things I miss about home is going out, raking up leaves, hauling them away and then burning them. It's one of those activity/pleasures, like polishing shoes or cleaning out the coffeepot, that I somehow enjoy even though it's probably more work than fun. I wish that I felt that way about making the bed, but...I guess I'm particular in my likes and dislikes.
But sometimes I think that the only thing missing here in Williamsburg is the smell of wood smoke on autumn days...I guess sometimes I do regret not being in the country.
On another note, I met a girl I knew from outside William & Mary. She's the friend of somebody I knew in EYC, and she's pretty cool, though she's having a tough time with freshman year (even 12 credits will be rough on you, if you aren't used to this kind of stress. Some people are, but meh). Anyway, I found out she knows the Ex-Roommate through Skiffy and various other things. Let me make it clear that I know I can't control who people like, and whom they don't. There is a lot about the Ex-Roommate to like, especially if you don't really care about how he treats you--but at the same time, it's a little uncomfortable for me. I mean, I do my best not to talk smack about him, but I'm afraid one of these days something will slip out. *sigh* I was never trained to deal with this kind of situation...suggestions, anyone? Comments are welcome--I'm really not sure how to deal with this. Perhaps just ignoring the fact that she's friends with him is the best idea...

8 Comments:

Blogger Gryffilion said...

With all due respect, you know nothing about my exroommate. I want nothing to do with him, for the rest of the time I am in school AT LEAST. I think I can remain friends with her without bringing him into it at all...the question is how to do it with the least discomfort.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will,
I'm gonna totally disagree with Vash.

You can say that you and your ex-roomate didn't get along. You can say that the two of you just don't work as roomates. Don't get specific.

If she asks, explain that you're trying to keep it all as smooth as possible, and, perhaps, explain in general terms some of your grievances.

You and I both know what a giant raging asshat he is, but that doesn't mean that you need to go airing your grievances to everyone you meet who knows 'im. That's just gonna get you in trouble--ask me about my experiences with open, honest personal assessments of third parties sometime.

-Eric

1:59 AM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

I didn't air my grievances so much as I admitted there had been some. For the most part I haven't badmouthed him to anyone who knows him--I mean, that's what he did to me...and I don't care to imitate him, Andy Ericson--you know that. :-P
Seriously, though, I know what you're saying, and I agree. The problem is that it's hard finding a balance between self-respect and other-respect--keeping yourself in check without letting his friendship with her influence me, if that makes sense. If it doesn't, just chalk it up to the Week from Hell.
And perhaps we can discuss it at a later date.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

How do you know so much about William and Mary Skiffy, by the way?
And how come you keep posting comments? Do I know you? I think I might...

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vash-

By "third party" I meant that I made a frank comment about Person A, to person B. I made, then, a statement about what should have been an issue between me and person A to a *third* party, much as Will would have done had he said anything negative about you...I mean his ex-roomate...to the lady in question.

-E.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

Vash, unless you can prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are not who I think you are--i.e., last year's roommate--then I'm going to delete every comment you put on here. Consider yourself duly warned.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how I'm the "lady" in question. I'm a lady, i feel special! ~Lynn

3:39 PM  
Blogger Gryffilion said...

Well, you didn't need some thirdrate blogger to tell you you were a lady. Just grab any random passerby and ask...
And now I feel embarassed since I've come to my senses about this whole damn thing...

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home