Friday, May 14, 2004

Will's Last Blog from Taliaferro 220

I've had a lot of time lately to think about how much Taliaferro has meant to me this year. As you could tell from my rambled musings, shout-outs, and various leaving-related song quotes posted lately, this has/is/will be hard for me. As I've told numerous people, it's the end of a stage, an epoch in my life--and those are always hard.
I came in, a lot of ways, a blank slate. Not necessarily in terms of who I was, but who I was ready to become. In the past week I've seen myself shift and morph in ways that I never thought possible. "I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons, I'm leaving flowers in full bloom...I'm searching for answers from the Great Beyond," as Michael Stipe once sang. It's a weird feeling--the feeling of long-repressed energy and vitality come spilling out. Sometimes that vitality is, paradoxically, stifling--you feel like you're being crushed under the weight of too much change, too many growing pains. Right now I'd like to think I'm able to handle a lot, but the things I've seen have taught me only that there's so much, maybe too much, to be seen.
To look upon infinite is to look upon the face of God--and to look upon the face of God is to go mad, as far as I've been able to discern. So looking at one's life is a smaller part of that infinite, and looking at a decade, a year, of one's life is breaking that chunk of infinite down even smaller. But it's still enough to drive you half batty if you stare too long. So I think I'll turn in for my last night in Taliaferro Tower. Rest well, all--we have three more years to go through. Are we having fun yet? *grin*

Well I'm not the kind to live in the past
The years run too short and the days too fast
The things you lean on are the things that don't last
Well it's just now and then my line gets cast into these
Time passages
There's something back here that you left behind
Time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight...

Hear the echoes and feel yourself starting to turn
Don't know why you should feel
That there's something to learn
It's just a game that you play...


-Al Stewart (yes, again, because he is the master of words and wisdom)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home