Friday, October 10, 2003

Okay, people, today's Migraine Post is coming your way. Aspirin dependent? Hate hearing stuff that just might burst a few key blood vessels in the gray matter? Well, read no further. Everyone else meet me three spaces down.



Okay, now that we've gotten rid of those cowards (I mean, come on, what's life without a little adventure and maybe a cerebral hemorrhage or two?), I can tell you all about this song called "Like Spinning Plates" by Radiohead. I actually heard it this summer at camp, when my friends Mary and Katherine sang it. It's mostly instrumental (very haunting and eerie-sounding), and there are only two lines:

While you make pretty speeches
I'm being cut to shreds
You feed me to the lions
A delicate balance

And this just feels like spinning plates
I'm living in cloud cuckoo land
And this just feels like spinning plates
Our boides floating down the muddy river


As Sarah put it, a bit too "interesting" for some. Well, that's okay...I can respect that. It was almost too interesting for me (but not quite!). Anyways, the cool thing I found out about it is that the music for the original "Like Spinning Plates" was actually that of a different song by Radiohead ("I Will") played backwards (which makes for a weird, scratchy sound). The sound poeple then dubbed in the lead singer's voice. Now here's where the salicylic acid comes in: he sang the song BACKWARDS to begin with on the tape, which was then reversed and put in over the recording of I Will, also backwards. So the original song was two backwards tracks, which would explain why the recording sounds like it was left out in the Sunken Gardens during Hurricane Isabel and then placed underneath the treads of a Sherman tank.
However, fortunately for my sanity, they now have live recordings of the song being played "correctly." Instead of a synth they have a beautiful and eerie piano part and a lead singer who sings forwards (wow! what a concept). Which is a good thing--although if I can get my mind around the whole forwards-backwards lyrics thing I might be able to get my mind around Calc too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home